Wednesday, November 14, 2012

blogroll special #3: human sea

My blogroll special guest today is Dulcie from Human Sea. I remember stumbling upon her blog and falling in love straight away with her beautiful film photography. Her pictures of her travels in Southeast Asia are to die for! It doesn't hurt either that the girl has amazing style. She wears the best vintage pieces, and also likes to share them in her Etsy shop


1. What does blogging mean to you? In a world of instagram, twitter, facebook, etc what makes you still hit the button publish today?

Blogging encourages me to really make the most of every day and to look for the beautiful amongst the mundane. It is an excuse to dress up in fancy things for no reason, visit places I have always wanted to, take pictures of life's little pleasures and to keep my home tidy. I love how the internet has given a voice to all the talented, creative and thoughtful individuals who find themselves uninspired by homogenised mainstream print media and keen to share their own unique perspectives. I enjoy communicating with fellow bloggers through many forms of social media including twitter, tumblr and pinterest.

2. What's the story behind your blog? How did you come to blog?

I first started my blog in my first year at The University of Manchester. My boyfriend who was studying in London had recently got one and I didn't want to feel left out! I feel that Human Sea has evolved organically since those early days and over time I came to know what I wanted my blog to be about - primarily vintage fashion and lifestyle with a thrifty feel. 



3. Where do you live and do you feel your city influences your blog? If so, In what way?

I am in the very exciting process of moving out of the West London familial home to a smaller flat in South-East London. I am beyond excited to be moving much closer to central London and my new flat has fantastic transport links and is situated much closer to my friendship group. After feeling isolated for the best part of a year, living in our dream location will have a transformational effect on my life as I will be able to engage with everything I love about London on a daily basis and not just have to save it for 'days out' at the weekend. The hours I will save on commuting will hopefully be poured into more posts for the blog!

London is an extremely inspiring place to live in every sense. The food culture, shopping, art galleries, night life, theatres, markets, parks and architecture are so diverse and varied you cannot fail to be surprised on a daily basis. London attracts creative individuals from all over the world and so the street style is like a showcase of global design and fashion and many of the different areas of London have their own distinctive look and energy. In addition to this, London has a fascinating history and in many ways exemplifies the many images we all have of it: opulent Victorian pubs with steamy windows, the Houses of Parliament lit up amidst a chill fog, the crush of shoppers under the gaudy Christmas lights on Oxford Street.



4. What is your favourite book...

As a masters student of English Literature I find it very difficult to whittle down my list of favourite books to just one! However, I love The Grass is Singing and the Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing and I am currently reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme which I am enjoying immensely.

... and film?

As for films, I'm not really a film buff but 2 Days in Paris never fails to make me laugh with its witty dialogue.

5. What are your favourite things to do on a sunday afternoon?

My favourite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon includes ordering the red berry pancakes at The Breakfast Club, when I can afford it and then getting out and about - perhaps visiting a market or car boot sale if one is on or browsing some shops. Alternatively, my boyfriend and I have a lazy day and just stay in and read and cook something nice for dinner.



Thank you so much Dulcie for your beautiful answers! (all pictures from Human Sea except 2 Days in Paris screenshot from Rotten tomatoes, collages by me).
Find the previous blogroll specials here.

15 comments:

TheHeadlessMannequin said...

Great interview - I love your insightful questions! And the layout and collages look great too. I've actually never come across this blog either but it looks like my dream one all bundled up in vintage wrapping paper so I'm off to check it out :)

moira said...

Glad to share the love! I think you'll really like this blog actually. Thanks for your comment, it made me happy xx

Emma said...

I'm so enjoying these posts! I love reading the answers!

Emma x

little henry lee said...

love your collages, they really showcase the blogger you're interviewing. i'll have to have a peek at her blog! :)

little henry lee

moira said...

@Emma: me too! i even considered keeping them for me at some stage haha x
@little henry lee: do please! its an amazing blog! x

Maisy said...

I love human sea, her blog is great and she got me into blogging! I love your questions and collages they work so well!

http://littlemissmaisyblogging.blogspot.co.uk/

moira said...

i can see why you'd be inspired to start a blog! I think my inspiration was liebemarlene although my blog started kinda music orientated and now i dont know haha. Thanks for your visit x

misslikey said...

I love what she said about London. Very inspiring lady

moira said...

it is my favourite bit too... anything about london is my favourite bit <3

Hannah said...

So much love for Dulcie and her blog, so glad you chose to interview her!

moira said...

i actually think i have you to thank for it because i discovered her through your tumblr a while ago!

Unknown said...

This is such a great post. Your questions are so thoughtful and the way you have collaged the photographs looks great. I have just stumbled across your blog and I will be visiting again! You have wonderful ideas.

moira said...

aw those are such kind words, thank you so much x

allthebigtrees said...

I adore Dulcie and these blog roll posts! X

moira said...

so glad you're enjoying them! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...