Wednesday, June 27, 2012

obsessed with: hearst castle


I just finished Louise Brooks' biography (written by Barry Paris) and can't get the San Simeon chapter out of my head. Louise Brooks was often invited there by Marion Davies' niece, Pepi Lederer. Always up to some mischief, the two young ladies brightened up the strict life under the roof of the castle. I am dreaming about a trip there but meanwhile I have a few things to keep me busy until I cave in and book a flight to California *wallet's scream of agony*.
- Rhiannon's beautiful post about her honeymoon there
- Re-watching Citizen Kane (C.F. Kane and Xanadu were largely inspired by William Randolph Hearst and his castle)
- Reading Aldous Huxley's After many a summer dies the swan. This lesser known book by Huxley was also inspired by Hearst and deals with the fear of mortality.
- Anticipating the release of Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby. The set looks totally xanadu-esque!(release date: 25/12/12 - trailer)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...