Monday, April 30, 2012

reads#5: march 2012


The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Jennifer Lynch, 1990)
Following my obsession for Twin Peaks at the start of this year, I had to read The Secret Diary written by no other but the Master's daughter. The book serves the same purpose as the spin-off film Fire Walk With Me, that is giving you more background information on Laura Palmer herself. You'd have to wonder how Jennifer Lynch, 22 at the time, managed to impersonate Laura Palmer so well. I can't help wondering if Laura's miseries were a recurring dinner table topic in the Lynch's family. How weird and ultimately marvelous it would have been. The diary starts with Laura's 12th birthday and describes her spiral into hell until her death. Probably because of my obsession, it was one of the most gripping books I had read in a while, I had to finish it before I could fathom the idea of even feeding myself. Luckily for me, it is quite short.
Favourite quote: I am trapped inside a part of me I hate. A hard, masculine part of myself that has surfaced to fight, after small memories and scars come out of me with a suddenness that is sobering as well as horrifying - and I fight to save the Laura I wish I could be again. The one everyone thinks is still around. Me in a sundress, hair in the wind, and a smile engraved into my cheeks by the sharp fear that a man may visit me at any moment this evening and try to kill me.


Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World (Haruki Murakami, 1985)
This book restored  my fan-love for Murakami. The last couple of books of his I read didn't leave that much of an impression on me. They weren't bad in any case or form. A Murakami is always a good book after all. The stuff he writes about seems to come from nowhere and blow you away with its sheer originality. HBWATEOTW is a story in two parts: one has the feel of a scientific thriller with the main character caught in a scary info-war. While the other part seems almost medieval and is located in a walled city where people don't have a mind of their own. It took me some time to adapt to the change of pace between the chapters but soon enough I was hooked, I was dying to know what was the connection between the two worlds.
Favourite Quote: I went to school for many years and I don't believe it made that much difference in my life. I can't speak any languages, can't play any instruments, can't play the stock market, can't ride a horse.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...