Wednesday, June 1, 2011

home

It's not always easy to make the place you rent feel like home. Most of the time, you're not really free to update the decor to your taste and you might find yourself trapped in the nasty combo black leather sofa+smelly carpet+beige walls. I ain't too far from this situation even though the flat I live in has its charms. I've tried to personalize it, mainly spreading my mess around (consisting of bric-a-brac, vintage frames and piles of clothes) but there are still some areas where I am not happy about. Namely the mantelpiece area and the kitchen.
It's the first time I've ever had a mantelpiece and I find it difficult to decorate it. It is by essence the focal point in my living room so I don't know if it should be stripped or overloaded with stuff.
As for the kitchen, well it's one of those cheap ones made of generic oak-like plastic. Vomit bag please. So I'm always on the lookout for decorating ideas for those two places and I came across what very well could be my next projects.

Room from The Falmouth Townhouse (source : Remodelista)

I am really in love with those "Origami Anatomy" boards. Wouldn't it be a great ornament for a mantelpiece? I need to find loads of pastel paper and get down to it (and incidentally learn to do origami - this tutorial on youtube looks quite clear).


Elinkan's kitchen

This idea is just perfect for rented places! Bit of wrapping paper, whole world of difference. Tear it down and the flat is back to its initial state : happy you and happy landlord. All you have to do is unhinge your kitchen cabinet door, wrap it with your favourite paper, put it back and ta-da new kitchen! I love how simple and pretty it is, best combination. I might go for some lovely Cath Kidston wrapping paper.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...